Sai Baba Temple
Shirdi Sai Baba Temple is a Hindu temple located in the neighbourhood of Mylapore in Chennai, India. The temple was built in 1952 by one Narasimhaswami, a Salem and Sai Baba devotee, out of money donated by a Chettiar merchant.The All India Sai Samaj is an organization founded by Sri Narasimhaswamiji seven decades backs, its main object being propagation of the life and teachings of Sri Sai Baba of Shirdi. Through two decades of tireless preaching, during which he traveled almost the entire Bharat, Sri Swamiji made the name of Sri Sai Baba as familiar as that of Siva, Rama and Krishna. Sri Swamiji authored many books highlighting that Sri Sai Baba's mission was to bring together two communities opposed to each other - the Hindus and Muslims - within a common fold, that Baba promoted a religion of love with peace and harmony, and that Baba belonged to no particular religion or faith, that he was neither Hindu nor Muslim, with his birth and early life shrouded in mystery.
The Thousand Light Mosque is located at the converging point of Mount Road and Peter's Road.Built in the year 1810, the Thousand Light Mosque was originally a hall. The purpose of constructing the hall was to give the Shia Muslims a place to meet during Muharram. After a few years a shrine was built in the same place. Later the shrine was redesigned into a mosque.The name Thousand Light Mosque intrigues tourists who want to know why the mosque is called so. The reason is that in the bygone days, one thousand lamps were lighted to illuminate the Assembly Hall which was located at the place where the mosque now stands.The walls of the Thousand Light Mosque, Chennai are inscribed with quotations from the Quran, the religious text of the Muslims
One of the sacred shrines in Tamil Nadu is Arulmigu Kapaleeswarar Temple in Mylapore, in Chennai City.It is a Siva Temple, and the name of the Lord is ARULMIGU KAPALEESWARAR. The name of the Goddess is ARULMIGU KARPAGAMBAL.It is a loverly temple with a Stately Spire or 'Gopuram' as it is called. Mylapore is on the sea coast and the shore is away by half a mile of thickly populated residential area.The Legend Behind The Temple.The name Mylapore is derived from the legend that the Goddess Uma worshipped Siva in the form of a peacock (or mayil in Tamil). We can see a representation of this legend on stone in a small Shrine under a Punnai tree (Sthala Vriksha) in the Courtyard of the temple.
ARULMIGU PARTHASARATHYSWAMY TEMPLE
The Parthasarathy Swamy Temple is one of the 108 Divya Desams, is said to have been renovated by a King of Pallava dynasty. "Brindaranya" is the traditional Puranic name of Thiru-Alli-Keni now known as Thiruvallikeni or modern Triplicane. It is said that for at least five thousand years, it has been a resting place for pilgrims who had come down from Thirupathy to have a bath in the sea on the days of Solar and Lunar Eclipses and on other auspicious days it being in a direct line to Thirupathy, Thiruthani and Trivellore and the route being free from swamps.
Central Railway Station
Chennai Central, erstwhile Madras Central, is the main railway terminus in the city of Chennai, formerly known as Madras. It lies adjacent to the current headquarters of the Southern Railway, as well as the Ripon Building, and is one of the most important railway hubs in South India. The 138-year-old building of the railway station, one of the most prominent landmarks of Chennai, was designed by architect George Harding.Chennai Central serves as a symbolic landmark for people in South India as this station served as the main gateway for all people who travelled to South India during the British times. About 350,000 passengers use the terminus every day.
Ripon Building is the seat of the Chennai Corporation (Madras Corporation) in Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu. This is a fine example of Indo-Saracenic style of architecture, a combination of three types of architectural styles - Gothic, Ionic and Corinthian. The Ripon Building is white in colour and is located near the Central station in Chennai. Commissioned in 1913, it was built by Loganatha Mudaliar. The Building took four years to build at a cost of 750,000 Rupees. Ripon building was named after Lord Ripon, Governor-General of British India and the Father of local self-government. Earl of Minto, the then Viceroy and Governor General of India laid the foundation on December 12, 1909.
Marina Beach is a natural urban beach in the city of Chennai, India, along the Bay of Bengal, part of the Indian Ocean. The beach runs from near Fort St. George in the north to Besant Nagar in the south, a distance of 13 km (8.1 mi), making it the longest natural urban beach in the country and the world's second longest. The Marina is primarily sandy, unlike the short, rocky formations that make up the Juhu Beach in Mumbai. The average width of the beach is 300 m (980 ft) and the width at the widest stretch is 437 m (1,434 ft). Bathing and swimming at the Marina Beach are legally prohibited because of the dangers, as the undercurrent is very turbulent. It is the most crowded beach in the country and attracts about 30,000 visitors a day during weekdays and 50,000 visitors a day during the weekends and on holidays.
The M. A. Chidambaram Stadium is a cricket stadium in Chennai (formerly
Madras), India, named after M. A. Chidambaram, the former President of
BCCI and the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association. The stadium was formerly
known as Madras Cricket Club Ground or Chepauk Stadium and was
established in the year 1916 making it the oldest Cricket Stadium in
India which is in continuous use. Commonly known as Chepauk, its first
match was played 10 February 1934. The Chepauk crowd is known to be
amongst the most appreciative in the country.The stadium is surrounded
by major streets, namely, Wallajah Road, Bells Road and Pycrofts Road in
the north, west and south, respectively.